The standards NFPA 1981 – Standard on Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) for Emergency Services and NFPA 1982 – Standard on Personal Alert Safety Systems (PASS) are quickly approaching implementation. The information below is to inform you of the timelines and changes to the standards.
About the Standards:
- NFPA 1981 – Standard on Open-Circuit Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA); defines requirements for SCCBA functionality, environmental conditioning, and communications
- NFPA 1982 – Standard on Personal Alert Safety Systems (PASS); defines requirements for PASS and other electronics used on an SCBA
- Standards Issuance Date: November 27, 2012 – Published Date: March 2, 2013
- Last day manufacturers can ship 2007 compliant products has been extended until February 28, 2014.
- Low-Pressure Alarm changes from 25% of cylinder pressure to 33% cylinder pressure.
- The use of EBSS or “Buddy Breathers” are expected to be approved.
- More rigorous testing of the facepiece and facepiece lens (new high temp and radiant head tests)
- Enhanced communication performance requirements
- Universal PASS alarm